Junkipedia Terms of Service
Last Updated: May 13, 2021 11:12 AM
By using Junkipedia, the user agrees to comply with these Terms of Service. The Terms of Service is the agreement between the user and Junkipedia and governs how the user can use Junkipedia. This agreement supersedes any previous agreements between Junkipedia and the user.
- Junkipedia is a platform allowing users to log instances of problematic content posted online such as mis- and dis-information, create an archive of these instances and undertake research, analysis and monitoring of trends in the spread of this content.
- ATI grants you a non-transferable, non-exclusive, revokable, limited to use and access Junkipedia. We reserve all rights not expressly granted to you by these Terms.
- If you violate any of these Terms, then ATI may terminate your account. ATI’s failure to enforce or exercise any of these Terms does not constitute a waiver.
- These Terms are to be read in conjunction with any other agreement that may be in place between ATI and you.
- ATI may modify these Terms from time to time and will publish any modifications here.
Account and usage
- You may use Junkipedia to upload instances of problematic content posted online such as mis- and dis-information (“Content”) and access Content on Junkipedia for the purposes of public interest archiving, research and/or journalism (“Specified Purposes”) only.
- Users will be granted access to Junkipedia and its Content for the Specified Purposes only.
- You may not use Junkipedia for any purpose that is unlawful, fraudulent, or in any way that has any unlawful or fraudulent effect.
- Users cannot use Junkipedia to violate laws or for any illegal activity in the user’s jurisdiction.
- A user cannot be a “bot” or other automated being.
- Users are responsible for any activity or content posted through their account.
- Users are responsible for ensuring that their account and password are kept secure, including by using a strong password. ATI will not be held responsible for any damage or loss caused by a user’s failure to secure their account.
- If users provide suggestions or feedback regarding Junkipedia, then ATI may use these to improve its services. In such situations, the user gives ATI a transferable, royalty-free, and unlimited license to use such suggestions or feedback without a requirement to give the user any compensation.
- Users may only upload Content to Junkipedia in good faith and for the Specified Purposes.
- You may not upload Content that breaches these Terms or any applicable local, national or international law or regulation.
- ATI retain the right to review and approve or deny any Content you upload to Junkipedia.
- ATI may contact you to verify details or gather further information about Content uploaded through your account.
- When you submit Content to Junkipedia, you grant ATI a worldwide, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, transferable, and sublicensable license to use, copy, modify, adapt, prepare derivative works of, distribute, store, display, make copies of and share that Content with other Junkipedia users and third parties. This license is required to enable ATI to maintain Junkipedia and make content available for other users for the Specified Purposes.
- Uploaded Content is only visible to other users who are in the same network as the user that uploaded the Content.
- Users can specify that uploaded content is only visible to their own organization by checking the appropriate field for each Content item. This can be made the default in preference settings for their organization.
- All Content remains visible to Junkipedia, regardless of sharing settings.
- You may not use Junkipedia in order to threaten, harass, intimidate, humiliate any person, incite violence or hate based on identity or vulnerability.
- While we endeavor to host Content uploaded to the platform in compliance with these Terms, we do not make any guarantees that we will do so.
- To report any issues about Content on Junkipedia, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The publication or public sharing of any Content by a user is prohibited, except where all of the following conditions are met:
- user must obtain permission from the Junkipedia user who submitted the Content, if the user is able to identify and contact the original user, they may be contacted directly, otherwise email email@example.com;
- prior to publication or public sharing, user must protect personal data in the Content to the fullest extent possible, for example by redacting names, locations and other information that may allow for the identification of individuals, taking into account whether the Content was initially posted publicly or privately (e.g. within a closed group);
- user must exercise responsible communication strategies to avoid amplifying problematic themes in Content, including appropriately watermarking images or videos that are false or misleading and ensuring that headlines and information included in publications does not exacerbate the issues raised by the Content; and
- user must credit sources where appropriate, for example by referencing Junkipedia and/or the user who submitted the Content.
- Where a user wants to privately share Content from Junkipedia with a third party, the user must first:
- notify and obtain ATI’s permission by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org; and
- engage the third party in writing, on terms that replicate the obligations set out in these Terms.
- Users may operate Tiplines – SMS, WhatsApp, email, webform, Slack integration, API connection or other submission forms where instances of mis- and dis- information can be submitted by members of the public.
- Users can generate and manage Tiplines through their Junkipedia accounts by navigating to the drop down menu under their profile and then to the ‘Manage Organization’ section.
- Where a user shares, publishes, downloads or otherwise deals with Content on Junkipedia, user is responsible for complying with all applicable local, state, national and international data protection laws including the EU General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”), together the “Data Protection Laws”.
- If a user receives an access, deletion or other request or enquiry about Junkipedia from an individual, data protection supervisory authority, social media platform or other body, the user must inform ATI immediately before responding to the request. ATI and the user agree to assist each other in responding to any such requests.
- To the extent the relationship between user and Junkipedia is required to be defined under Data Protection Laws, user and Junkipedia are independent data controllers, both independently responsible for complying with the applicable obligations on them in Data Protection Laws.
- If (i) the Content you upload to Junkipedia includes any personal data that is protected under GDPR (i.e. the personal data of data subjects in the United Kingdom or European Union); and (ii) Junkipedia processes that data outside of the European Economic Area and United Kingdom; and (iii) such processing takes place in a country that that the European Commission (or competent United Kingdom authority, as applicable) has not provided an adequacy decision for, then Junkipedia shall be deemed to have entered into the Controller to Controller Standard Contractual Clauses 2010 (Commission Decision 2004/915/EC) (“C2C SCCs”) with you, the terms of which (excluding any optional clauses) are hereby incorporated into these Terms by reference, on the following basis:
- you are the data exporter and Junkipedia is the data importer;
- the governing law of the C2C SCCs is English law;
- for the purpose of Annex B to the C2C SCCs (i) the data subjects are those individuals whose personal data is contained in the data provided to Junkipedia in accordance with these Terms and includes both submitters and posters of Content; (ii) categories of data are personal data included in any Content you submit to Junkipedia, including individuals’ social media handles, names and other personal data included in Content; (iii) the categories of sensitive data may include political and philosophical beliefs; (iv) the basic processing activities are the uses of data by Junkipedia as set forth in these Terms.
- Junkipedia aggregates Content from third parties. The copyright, ownership and other intellectual property rights in Content on Junkipedia is vested in the author or owner of such Content. Accordingly, Junkipedia does not grant users a license to this Content.
- Junkipedia makes the Content on the platform available solely for the Specified Purposes.
Application Program Interface (“API”) Terms
- The user may access Junkipedia through the API. The use of the API requires compliance with these Terms as well as the following API Terms:
- The user agrees and understands that Junkipedia will not be responsible for any loss or damage that results from their API usage or by products by third-parties that acquire data through the API.
- Excessive requests to or abuse of Junkipedia through the API can lead to the suspension, whether temporary or permanent, of the account’s ability to use the API. ATI will decide whether there has been an excessive usage or abuse of the Junkipedia API and will issue an email to the user about the suspension prior to its occurrence as a warning.
Third Party Services
- YouTube: some Junkipedia features integrate with YouTube and the YouTube API. By using Junkipedia, you agree to be bound by the YouTube Terms of Service
- CrowdTangle: some Junkipedia features integrate with CrowdTangle and the CrowdTangle API. By using Junkipedia, you agree to be bound by the CrowdTangle Terms of Service
Account closure, termination and deletion of Content
- Users may delete their accounts at any time by contacting email@example.com.
- When a user account is deleted, the personal data associated with the account will be deleted. Any Content submitted through the account will remain on the Junkipedia platform in accordance with these Terms.
- ATI has the right to suspend or terminate the user’s account at any time for a violation of these Terms or for any other reason and prohibit the user from using the account in the future.
- ATI will not be held responsible by the user or a third party for any change to or discontinuation of Junkipedia.
- The user accesses Junkipedia at their own risk.
- The user cannot claim to be associated with or reference Junkipedia or ATI except in compliance with these Terms and with ATI’s permission.
- The user cannot adapt, hack, or modify Junkipedia.
- The user cannot exploit, copy any part, use, or access Junkipedia without ATI’s permission.
- The user may not reuse or copy any part of the CSS, HTML, or other visual design features of Junkipedia without ATI’s permission
- ATI may delete or remove Content posted to Junkipedia that violates these Terms or for any other reason.
- ATI can suspend or terminate a user account and content if it determines that the account or content violates these Terms, applicable laws and regulations, or another party’s intellectual property or other rights.
- ATI will terminate the account of any user who engages in the written, verbal, physical or other kind of abuse of an ATI employee or another Junkipedia user.
- The user understands that the technical transmission and processing operations of Junkipedia, including of user Content, may involve changes to conform with the technical requirements of devices or connecting networks and could be transmitted over a variety of networks, unencrypted.
- If the user’s usage is significantly larger than the average usage of Junkipedia users, then ATI maintains the right to suspend the user’s account. In such a case, ATI will reach out to the user before further action is taken except in instances where the user’s usage negatively impacts how ATI functions.
- ATI does not promise or warrant that (i) it will meet the user’s individual requirements or expectations; (ii) it will be without error, timely, uninterrupted, or secure; (iii) the errors will be fixed; (iv) the results acquired from Junkipedia will be reliable or accurate.
- The user understands that ATI will not be responsible for any indirect or direct loss or damage that may result from use of Junkipedia.
- If ATI adds any features to enhance the service, then the features will also be dependent on these Terms. The user’s use of Junkipedia after modifications such as these will constitute the user’s agreement to the modifications.
- Any questions about these Terms can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Any claims arising out of or relating to these Terms will be governed by the laws of Washington DC laws. Any dispute arising from these Terms shall be resolved in the jurisdiction of the Washington DC’s courts.